Modern-day barbecues have taken the word of grilling by storm. They come with numerous features that modern man find them attractive. Think of it; how did old school charcoal fires sear to perfection burgers and meat? Its skills.
Before the modern-day BBQs came into play, families and friends still enjoyed their weekends in the backyard, without mouth-watering turkey, mutton or beef, thanks to the built-in bbq. This kind of barbecue was skilfully built, and thus, they remained a point of focus for many people who gathered together.
The most outstanding feature of this bbq is that it is built with a massive grilling space as compared to a standard modern barbecue, a feature that makes it possible to feed a crowd, hungry people. Moreover, they are made to last longer, thanks to their ability to resist environmental elements.
Buying or building a BBQ?
The price of BBQ varies greatly. Some may cost less than $50, a good number cost over a thousand dollars. The price determines the features you get in the bbq. Modern types use electric current or gas. Some still use kerosene and charcoal.
The choice you make dents on what you are looking for. For instance, if you are looking to entertain many people, then you will go for the large-sized type. On the other hand, if you like something portable, then you have to consider buying a smaller model.
Have you thought about building your brick barbecue? If you want to construct one, it is easy, especially if it is a smaller one. However, you need to have the right set of skills, tools and equipment, and material.
Parts of a BBQ
Knowing the components of a BBQ makes it easier for you to build and use it. A built-in BBQ has a simple design. It comes with the following parts.
- Firebox: this is the place that holds fire. Its inner lining is covered by a firebrick to retain much heat. The part is made up of clay.
- Grill grate: the best material for this part should be rustproof, preferably stainless steel or porcelain-coated cast iron. Either brick ledges or angle irons usually support it.
- Solid rock walls: the bricks make the walls. On top, they have a header and a stretcher border.
- Ash/ charcoal pan: this is a small sheet of metal that holds fuel. It makes it easier to remove the ash. For better cooking, place it between 7 and 15 inches below the cooking surface.
- Base: the base is wide enough to offer the required stability. Fibre-reinforced concrete of thickness 4 inches is placed over the base of tampered crushed stone.
What makes a grill good at its work?
How do PARKQUIP’s builtin bbq work? The effectiveness of a grill depends on numerous factors. If you want to buy a bbq, consider the following:
- Fuel: the type of fuel matters a lot. You can choose the charcoal, gas, electric, or kerosene BBQ. Each of the above kinds comes with advantages and disadvantages.
- Cooking space: the size of your family determines the cooking space. Just buy a bbq that suits your needs.
- BTUs: these are energy measurements. Higher BTUs indicates that the bbq burns more fuel and produces more heat.
- Grill grate material: the range of material is wide – cast-iron, stainless steel, etc. Choose a material that is easy to maintain.
Other factors include size and portability, grill body materials, and price.