A Roof Rack is also called Luggage carrier
A roof rack is a system of crossbars or longitudinal poles usually placed on the roof to carry cargo. A roof rack has become a choice accessory for many individuals because it allows them more space in the passenger compartment of the vehicle and increases the level of comfort during outings. There are specific luggage racks for skis and bicycles.
When mounting a roof rack, it is recommended that individuals respect the width and height of the vehicle. It must verify its precise fixation to the roof, and the most important thing is to respect the capacity or volume of cargo they have and properly stow the cargo inside. Since with a bad manoeuvre or speeding, the car can be destabilised, and the driver can easily lose control entirely.
The luggage rack must be used for objects that cannot be carried inside the vehicle since it has several disadvantages:
- Raises the centre of gravity of the vehicle, making it more unstable.
- It is necessary to hold all the luggage properly, lest there could be an accident due to losing control.
- It damages the aerodynamics a lot (even if they do not carry cargo), increasing its resistance to the wind and, therefore, supposes an increase in fuel consumption.
Mounting a Roof Rack
These things must be taken into consideration when doing ARB roof rack installations:
- The chest is installed on the roof with the exact instructions of the manufacturer. Some manufacturers even indicate the tightening torques for the screws. These must be respected. In addition, trunk boxes are made to fit, not one size fit all vehicles, so meticulous advice and research should be carried out before the purchase.
- The corresponding assembly kit must be complete and intact. If the box or supports already have cracks, the system can no longer be used. A crack increases under load and sooner or later causes a break. This can cause a dangerous situation both for oneself and for other road users.
- It is very important that the chest is completely straight on the roof rack. The more inclined you are, the greater the air resistance of the vehicle.
- The hinges and locks should also be examined before mounting the chest, check before assembling, whether the hinges of both parts fit correctly and if the lock closes properly. A chest has to be closed. Otherwise, the thieves have it very easy.
Taking Care of a Car Roof Rack System
Highlighted below are useful hints to guide the usage of a roof rack:
- Inspect and clean your roof rack periodically. Completely disassemble it and wash it with warm water. This helps to look for damage, and ensures the rack is completely dry before mounting it. Do a complete inspection of the car rack to ensure that all wear is attended to immediately to prevent loss of the property while driving or even worse, accident.
- Apply lubricant to all knobs, bolts, and locks, etc. Ensure that any corroded part is replaced and use spray oil to prevent further corrosion. Ensure all the bolts are tightened.
- Never add excess luggage above the specified requirements in light of the fact that a few additional individuals are getting a ride in your vehicle, and they need their luggage conveyed. You could be saving yourself of impending danger.
- Learn how to load the rack appropriately for minimal measure of wind opposition. In the case of conveying kayaks, ensure the kayaks are likewise tied from the bow and stern to the vehicle.
- Be mindful of any additional luggage on the rack, and when the gear surpasses the length of the vehicle, a red flag should be attached to alert an oncoming driver.